Chicken soup is one of the easiest and satisfying recipes a cook can master. This soup has all the classic flavors (celery, carrot, parsley). Don’t be tempted to use all white meat, as the flavor won’t be as full. This method produces a fragrant, golden, savory soup you want to eat all winter long; it’s a perfect backdrop for noodles, rice, or matzo balls.
For a low carb version, shirataki noodles have zero carbs, but their texture is more “squeaky” than regular noodles—odd, but not a dealbreaker when I want noodles. See the end of the recipe for different variations…
Chicken Noodle Soup
4 servings // 527 calories, 6 net carbs
12 ounces egg noodles (fresh or dried), such as packaged wide noodles, spaetzle, fettuccine or pappardelle cut into short lengths.
/or/ 12 ounces shirataki fettuccine-style noodles
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
Small dash fish sauce
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
5—6 cups organic chicken bone broth
3/4 pound cooked dark and light chicken meat, shredded or diced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
Prepare the noodles—shirataki Japanese noodles are sold wet, in plastic bags. They smell somewhat “fishy” when opened. To eliminate this, pour into a sieve, rinse well, drain, microwave on high for two minutes. Repeat.
In a soup pot, sauté the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic in olive oil. Cook until the onions are translucent. Add the herbs and bay leaves and cook for a minute or so. Add the chicken bone broth, bring to a boil, and add the shredded chicken. Add the noodles (wheat or shirataki), reduce heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Taste the broth and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve sprinkled with chopped parsley.
Variations on a Theme
- For a creamy chicken noodle soup, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- Add a few tablespoons of pesto.
- Add 1 lemon, thinly-sliced, and its zest, for a lemon chicken soup.
- Add three or four slices of lime, swap the parsley for fresh cilantro, add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin, a dash of cayenne or hot sauce, diced tomatoes, and cubed avocado for Mexican-style chicken soup.
- Add a teaspoon of toasted sesame oil, ginger powder, and a few dashes of fish sauce for a soup with Asian flavors.
- Swirl in fresh spinach or kale at the end of cooking for more of a vegetable-heavy soup.